A Lucky Girl’s Life: Easy Ways to Heal a Bruise Faster
A bruise is nothing more than bleeding that occurs under your skin. Broken blood vessels and damage to tissue under the skin are medically referred to as contusions. Unsightly bruises can be painful and require a little attention if you want to heal them faster.
Once you get bumped and banged up try these remedies:
- Immediately put ice on the injury. It will reduce inflammation and slow the blood to the area which can in-turn, reduce the size of the bruise
- Relax and elevate the injured area above your heart if you can.
- Apply Arnica gel or cream to the area. This will speed the healing and reduce the sore feeling.
- Aloe Vera will help to heal the skin faster if there are any scrapes.
- Increase your intake of vitamins C and K (dark green leafy vegetables are great sources). You may want to also take a supplement if you are not getting enough from food sources.
- Dr.Weil suggests taking Bromelain. This is an enzyme from pineapple that helps to break down metabolic waste from the injury. Take 200-400 mg. on an empty stomach three times a day.
Why do you bruise so easily?
As we age our skin becomes thinner and our blood vessels more prominent. The elderly will bruise much faster than a child would because of this. Prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications that thin the blood will also increase bruising. There may also be a deficiency of vitamins K and C. Lastly, if this is a continuing problem seek a physician for any other underlying medical conditions.
This week I get my Aromatherapy Certification so I will keep you informed on natural remedies to heal yourself. You may also like to try one of my H.E.A.L. Yourself Now classes. The next class will be held Saturday, November 2nd from 9:30 – 11am at Sunset Grille Restaurant. You can learn about foods that heal and self-help techniques to improve your well-being such as MELT, Reflexology and dry brushing. Call 410-251-6977 if you would like to sign up for the next session.