Top Ten Things to do Before Summer Ends
We hate to say it but summer is winding down. While we have plenty of beach days left and a host of fun fall events to look forward to, our ‘busy season’ is coming to an end. But that doesn’t mean summer is over yet! There’s still plenty of time to revel in the summer of 2014. We’ve compiled a list of a few of our favorite things to do during the last couple weeks of the summer (cue sigh)… however, have no fear, the sun is still shining, the water temps are still in the 80’s and restaurants are still crushing oranges, y’all- OC is showing no signs of slowing down just yet.
1.) Head to Stinky Beach:
– One of our favorite things to do is soak up the hot August sun on Stinky Beach (for those of you not familiar with the area, it’s a local’s favorite, hidden away in West Ocean City). Pack a cooler, bring a beach chair and watch the fishing boats cruise by while you enjoy the last few days of the warm summer sun. Colder temperatures will be here before we know it and we will be craving that vitamin D (and suffering from seasonal depression!).
2.) Do something you’ve wanted to do all summer but couldn’t because of the crowds & traffic:
– Be a tourist for a night! Go to Trimpers, take the kids to Jolly Rogers and enjoy the short lines, finally play mini-golf or go go-carting. It’s your time to enjoy all the fun things Ocean City has to offer without the ridiculously crowded boardwalk and restaurants.
3.) Camp out on Assateague:
– With cooler temperatures slowly heading our way, drive down to Assateague for a staycation. Pitch a tent, build a bonfire, make some s’mores and camp out for the night!
4.) Have a shopping day:
– Do some back-to-school shopping (or in our case- fall work shopping?) head to the OC or Rehoboth Tanger Outlets and stock up on sweaters, riding boots and grab a Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks while you’re at it! Or drive through town and stop at one of our many surf shops who are steadily receiving fall shipments.
5.) Do happy hour outside:
– Pretty soon those 4’oclock afternoons on the swings at Fishtales will cease to exist, so we encourage you to take advantage of our local restaurants that have fabulous outdoor seating areas. Grab some friends, bar hop down the bay and sit outside- trust us, come November you’ll miss it.
6.) Jet ski, parasail, go on the boat or paddleboard:
– Spend some time on the water. Call one of our many watersport companies around Ocean City and rent a pontoon boat for the day. Before summer ends, we always like a long day on the sandbar!
7.) Stock up on seafood:
– That’s right, head out with your family and get crabs one last time for the summer. One of our favorite summer pastimes is having a big crab feast at home… so you could do either, go out and have them at one of our many seafood restaurants or have a “end of summer” party at your house with crabs, corn and beer. It’s the perfect way to welcome September.
8.) Go to Sunfest:
– This one is pretty self-explanatory; Sunfest marks the official end of the Summer 2014 season. As crowds once again flock to the inlet, take advantage of the massive tents, crafts and sinful foods and enjoy Sunfest. There are some pretty great entertainers headed there this year too! (Be on the lookout for a separate article for all the info you need to know about Sunfest).
9.) Take a run on the boardwalk:
– Another one of our favorite things to do is run outside. Soon, we will be stuck inside at the gym on the treadmill, so make sure to take advantage of our beautiful boardwalk and take a run in the early morning. With the boards less crowded and the sound of the ocean… you’ll be sure to feel good the rest of the day.
10.) Swim in the ocean:
– If you’re anything like us, you’re starting to realize that you have yet to even step foot in the ocean (and we live here). So head to the white, sandy beaches and jump in the salty ocean. With the water temperatures warmer than they’ve been all summer, it’s the perfect time anyways.
So there you have it! Our 10 things to do before summer ends, with fall hot on our heels, we want to soak up the summer sun as much as we can. See you at the beach!